GBA SP AGS-101 in DMG shell [Finished]

Share project builds and progression. Also give/receive help as needed.

Moderator: MBB Moderators

GBA SP AGS-101 in DMG shell [Finished]

Postby john sparks » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:11 am

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiACdqcMg-A[/YouTube]

work log :

with my two other projects stalled, i decided to do something more "me". ;)
i ordered a backlight kit for my GBA, but playing regular gameboy or color games is a bit odd with the cart sticking out.
since i love gameboy's i decide to sacrifice :cry: one of my AGS-101's and do a DMG case mod.

i began in the morning and this is how far i got..

and they roll:

i began by disassembling my SP. good bye ol friend.

removed the switch lever that toggles GBC mode then a cart is inserted that is not GBA.
there are four solder points that are left once the part is removed as you see in this picture.
i ruined the SP, but i remember i had a spare AGS-101 MOBO put away that i didnt have a screen for. so moving on.

Bridge the first and last pin to leave the gameboy in GB-Color mode.
bridge the second and third points to supply the game with 5v. this is preferred because there are some games that need the 5v.

time to salvage parts from a DMG. there are a few ways to do this mod. some people use the DMG back MOBO, some people just take parts from it. i took parts from it due to the fact that i wanted to have the ext. port and the charge port rather then have the volume control knob.

i removed the power switch and hot glue into place where it was level enough to be flipped by the outer grey switch. once in place i used JB Weld to glue it sturdy for use.

i removed the charge port from the SP and also the EXT port and placed them on the shell.

hot glued into place and also jb welded.

i know it is not noticeable but i placed a shoulder button tactile switch on the power port hole to control the brightness setting on the SP. did not realize you couldnt see until i imported the photo to my computer. :blush: sorry

i planned on incorporating the headphone jack since the SP does not have one.
wires are as follows:

BLACK - - - Black- - - - - -Black - - - White
left audio, right audio, ground, and mystery wire.

im pretty sure the white wire is the short out wire that turns off the speaker when a head phone jack is plugged in. im not sure how to wire that yet.

since the board had components on it which i was unsure that they did, i took them off and just added wire because i figured the SP already has somtheing that takes its place on the SP mono. i didn't want the components to interfere with the sound or something. im not sure so i just took em off (or should i have left them?) :?
besides, i just wanted the headphone jack.

i cut out the button part of the DMG MOBO and made small holes with an iphone screw driver tool. i sanded off the shielding of the PCB board at specific sports i chose to connect wires to.
it took me a wile to remember what points i had use for my SNES- DMG controller, but i referenced pictures and carried on.

cut out the battery compartment of an extra SP shell i have in the graveyard. :dremel:

removed the battery terminals from the SP MOBO and jb welded it to the battery compartment.

proceeded to remove the pin connector from the SP with my dremel. i was planing on using the left over pins to ease the wiring. but alot of them broke off when removed the plastic from the pins. also they came off when soldering the wires so i took them all off.

also the DMG pin connector.

so far so good....

remembering that i preffer it to be a gameboy color, since the advance will not be used, i removed the EXT port of the SP and put in place one from a gameboy color. good thing the glue (JB Weld) had not fully dried, i was able to swap out easy.

shaved off the sides of the battery compartment enough to fit the battery compartment of the SP. i also cut donw the port so they fit together. i also cut out a hole for the battery connector to go through.

returned inside and placed the screen, also the buttons. its somewhat finished. but lots to do still

wired up the power switch and also the battery to the SP.

i almost gave up and scraped the mobo. my soldering iron cannot solder on such fine points. i need a new one. soldering the wires to the pin solder points was a pain in the but. i had to redo a lot of them because one wrong move and had to break up bridged pins and it was messy. finally finished and hot glued.

plugged in the screen to check the progress. excellent. all thats left is to connect the DMG card slot to the SP.
also connect the buttons to the SP mobo. also the speaker and eEXT and charge port.

soldered the DMG pins to the SP. but something shorted out when i tested it. :fried: i cut off the DMG pins and tried to turn it on. it would not power. i figured it was the pins. since i had hot glued them in sections to where i made sure none were touching, i had to cut it off. the system would not power, i removed the first fuze F2 and bridged with solder. sytem turned on :dance:

and well, thats it...
i was thinking of requesting someone finish it for me, but i think i just need a better soldering iron. the pin connector is also giving me a hard time with the portable N64. so many wires. so tiny :bash: patience runs out sometimes.
i will put it aside untill i figure something out. its practically done :cry: but that pin connector.....

that is all. i deserve some sleep.... :wow:
Last edited by john sparks on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbit Retro Custom Macros. check us out on instagram and facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/jbitretro

john sparks
John Sparks
John Sparks

Re: GBA SP AGS-101 in DMG shell

Postby fibbef » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:42 pm

This is looking really good. Glad you got it powered on. Hopefully see it running some GBC games soon! I was thinking of trying this mod awhile back, but couldn't quite figure out how I wanted to mod the case to handle GBA games. I guess making it a non-GBA system solves that problem! I'm wondering why you swapped out the ext. jack for one from a GBC - the GBA (and SP) jack also work for transferring data between GB and GBC titles.
fibbef
Character through creation
Character through creation

Postby john sparks » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:34 pm

fibbef wrote: I'm wondering why you swapped out the ext. jack for one from a GBC - the GBA (and SP) jack also work for transferring data between GB and GBC titles.

the cable i will use... GBC cable. or actually.... UGH... hahaha i should have left it, but naw. im ok using a GBC link cable. :D

you should check out thursdaycustoms. justin just cut down the sides so the GBA cart sits all the way down.
https://www.facebook.com/thursdaycustoms?ref=br_rs

john sparks
John Sparks
John Sparks

Postby john sparks » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:05 am

got so close to finishing it today. actually i did, but it would not load the game. it would stay on the gameboy screen and nintendo would come out, but it was distorted. cleaned the pins and the game but nothing. ruined MOBO #2

at least the shell is done, buttons are done, screen is good and all the ports are on the shell. just need a mobo with the pins relocated.

im having such a hard time with the pins in both my mods. :|
my portable 64 mobo can be salvaged, im pretty sure it was something dumb. but for this DMG mod, i will need a new SP, ebay here i come.... :bash:

john sparks
John Sparks
John Sparks

Postby lovablechevy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:24 pm

it's very likely that it's just the cart slot itself. what you are describing is what happens when it doesn't detect a game inserted.

before buying a replacement, double and triple check the cart slot. make sure it's 100% in the correct place, that when the game is inserted the pins are lining up correctly.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!
lovablechevy
Queen of Bondo
Queen of Bondo

Postby john sparks » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:57 pm

them dam pins are stressing meh :bash:
i have one more AGS 101 that i can use, but i dont want to sacrifice that one as well. although this being the third board, i think it would come out right.
first two were due to the soldering iron i was using. wasn't heating up right. :wow:

i grabbed a ribbon cable from a large old server i have in my room that i grabbed for 5 bucks a long time ago, im going to give it one last shot. im ok with this because i bought a GBA screen mod kit for my GBA so as far as being able to play, that will replace my SP if this were to fail again. but i really want one of these DMG mods. so third time is the charm...
:ninja: lets do this...

going to try a different approach....

john sparks
John Sparks
John Sparks

Postby john sparks » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:39 am

heres to the last time attempting this.... let hope for the best.... :?
this one came out better. lets hope attaching it to the MOBO goes well :cry:

john sparks
John Sparks
John Sparks

Postby Bacteria » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:36 am

Should work fine, I relocated the GBA port a while back when did the guide to wire the crappy GBA Converter directly to the GBA.
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby john sparks » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:13 am

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :XD

the hard part is done. now its a piece of cake... :dance:

john sparks
John Sparks
John Sparks

Postby john sparks » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:39 am

its done. just dont know how to close it.if i glue it it i feel as it won't get the top and bottom. and i dont want to put glue on the sides bcuz it will spill out when the halfs meet...

im going to crazy glue it and hold it tight for a long while.. :P

john sparks
John Sparks
John Sparks

Next

Return to Project worklogs