work log :
with my two other projects stalled, i decided to do something more "me".
i ordered a backlight kit for my GBA, but playing regular gameboy or color games is a bit odd with the cart sticking out.
since i love gameboy's i decide to sacrifice
one of my AGS-101's and do a DMG case mod.
i began in the morning and this is how far i got..
and they roll:
i began by disassembling my SP. good bye ol friend.
removed the switch lever that toggles GBC mode then a cart is inserted that is not GBA.
there are four solder points that are left once the part is removed as you see in this picture.
i ruined the SP, but i remember i had a spare AGS-101 MOBO put away that i didnt have a screen for. so moving on.
Bridge the first and last pin to leave the gameboy in GB-Color mode.
bridge the second and third points to supply the game with 5v. this is preferred because there are some games that need the 5v.
time to salvage parts from a DMG. there are a few ways to do this mod. some people use the DMG back MOBO, some people just take parts from it. i took parts from it due to the fact that i wanted to have the ext. port and the charge port rather then have the volume control knob.
i removed the power switch and hot glue into place where it was level enough to be flipped by the outer grey switch. once in place i used JB Weld to glue it sturdy for use.
i removed the charge port from the SP and also the EXT port and placed them on the shell.
hot glued into place and also jb welded.
i know it is not noticeable but i placed a shoulder button tactile switch on the power port hole to control the brightness setting on the SP. did not realize you couldnt see until i imported the photo to my computer.
i planned on incorporating the headphone jack since the SP does not have one.
wires are as follows:
BLACK - - - Black- - - - - -Black - - - White
left audio, right audio, ground, and mystery wire.
im pretty sure the white wire is the short out wire that turns off the speaker when a head phone jack is plugged in. im not sure how to wire that yet.
since the board had components on it which i was unsure that they did, i took them off and just added wire because i figured the SP already has somtheing that takes its place on the SP mono. i didn't want the components to interfere with the sound or something. im not sure so i just took em off (or should i have left them?)
besides, i just wanted the headphone jack.
i cut out the button part of the DMG MOBO and made small holes with an iphone screw driver tool. i sanded off the shielding of the PCB board at specific sports i chose to connect wires to.
it took me a wile to remember what points i had use for my SNES- DMG controller, but i referenced pictures and carried on.
cut out the battery compartment of an extra SP shell i have in the graveyard.
removed the battery terminals from the SP MOBO and jb welded it to the battery compartment.
proceeded to remove the pin connector from the SP with my dremel. i was planing on using the left over pins to ease the wiring. but alot of them broke off when removed the plastic from the pins. also they came off when soldering the wires so i took them all off.
also the DMG pin connector.
so far so good....
remembering that i preffer it to be a gameboy color, since the advance will not be used, i removed the EXT port of the SP and put in place one from a gameboy color. good thing the glue (JB Weld) had not fully dried, i was able to swap out easy.
shaved off the sides of the battery compartment enough to fit the battery compartment of the SP. i also cut donw the port so they fit together. i also cut out a hole for the battery connector to go through.
returned inside and placed the screen, also the buttons. its somewhat finished. but lots to do still
wired up the power switch and also the battery to the SP.
i almost gave up and scraped the mobo. my soldering iron cannot solder on such fine points. i need a new one. soldering the wires to the pin solder points was a pain in the but. i had to redo a lot of them because one wrong move and had to break up bridged pins and it was messy. finally finished and hot glued.
plugged in the screen to check the progress. excellent. all thats left is to connect the DMG card slot to the SP.
also connect the buttons to the SP mobo. also the speaker and eEXT and charge port.
soldered the DMG pins to the SP. but something shorted out when i tested it.
i cut off the DMG pins and tried to turn it on. it would not power. i figured it was the pins. since i had hot glued them in sections to where i made sure none were touching, i had to cut it off. the system would not power, i removed the first fuze F2 and bridged with solder. sytem turned on
and well, thats it...
i was thinking of requesting someone finish it for me, but i think i just need a better soldering iron. the pin connector is also giving me a hard time with the portable N64. so many wires. so tiny
patience runs out sometimes.
i will put it aside untill i figure something out. its practically done
but that pin connector.....
that is all. i deserve some sleep....